Feedback from Staff and Student Surveys 2018-2021
We ran Staff and Student surveys in 2018 and 2021 to get feedback on what people think about working in the Department and how we can improve our enviroment, culture and facilities so people can reach their full potential.
See below for some examples of how we have used your feedback to put in place actions and improvements.
The next Staff survey launches on Tuesday 25 April and will close on Friday 19 May. Please take 15 mintues to complete the survey so we can continue to focus our activities and improve things for everyone!
You said... we did
Provide some guidance or example plan for academic careers
Have more regular reviews of salary/grade scale to make sure women and men are treated equally
Grade reviews now included in annual development reviews and when new grant applications are made including existing staff
Offer funding opportunities for researchers
Communicate opportunities better
The process of actually starting work in the department could be more structured
‘Buddy’ scheme set up by Research Staff Society to support new members of staff
If it is possible would be nice to improve [the Department’s] appearance
Art enrichment project has led to permanent artwork exhibition, medicinal planting outside and on the Common Room balcony and cabinets of curiosity
Common resources eg core facilities
Three new pieces of communal equipment purchased and we are exploring two new purchases, led by feedback from the Departmental Meeting
More support for building team relationships and creating an open social atmosphere
Allow for more cross Department meetings and seminars
I feel as though I barely know or recognise other DPhil students. It would be nice to have casual socials to meet them
Pharmacology Society organises regular pizza and other social evenings.
What’s the best thing about working here?
- Cutting edge research environment
- The door is always open, encouragement and support is always given
- Friendly working environment
- A sense of joint purpose – it feels like an extended family
- Very collaborative and supportive
- Good collegial spirit and friendly staff
- I enjoy the freedom to engage my own research interests and ideas
- The is a community feel across the Department
- Everyone is approachable and helpful
- We feel we have a voice and that our opinions are valued
- Everyone knows each other and I can always find the support needed
- Great relationships with colleagues
- International reputation for high quality research
- How easy it is to collaborate with other groups
- The department has a really nice feel, open and accessible.
- Being surrounded and supported by successful colleagues
- My supervisor is incredibly supportive and encouraging